.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Analyzing White America Essay

After viewing Analyzing White America by Paul Mooney, I was initially taken aback by the content. I never expected the rawness that Mooney brought to the stage and he hit the ground running with such a tone without looking back. A lot of the material do me laugh or at the very least smile beca consumption i found it to be identifiable with my own life and some of the surroundings that I was brought up in. The part that I found most amusing was Mooneys suggestion that white people were happier before slavery was abolished. I believe racial discrimination is very much present in todays world.When I was growing up, I can recall plenty of neighborhoods in my hometown that were considered white or even black for that matter. In these neighborhoods, if you were non from that part of town, you were not considered welcomed there. Any parts of the film that I did not laugh at, there was no grouchy reason other than I simply was not am commitd by the material beca spend there were not any parts that I found personally offensive. I feel as though the word nigger is so controversial solely because of its history and the origin of its meaning. This word was meant to place down and disparage African Americans when it was originated.Today, people use the term in a different context. The new meaning is one of affection but with its use comes this unwritten rule that white people are prohibited from saying it. I never could wrap my mind fully around the idea that I can say the word nigga in reference to a friend of mine but a white kid was not allowed to use it, in the same context, all because we are of different races. In my opinion, its not right for either myself or a white person to use the word in any context. In todays society, everything is just as much about race as it was in the days of slavery.The exclusively difference between now and then is that openly addressing the issues that we, as a culture, all have with race is socially unacceptable. Mooneys antics o n stage were not without warrant. He recognizes that racism is still a major issue and he chooses to address it differently than the average person. Pauls words are not meant to slander or belittle any one race, religion, or ethnice group, but instead he wants to make his audience to expand their minds and think about what it is he is really saying. Granted, his demeanor is controversial, I believe he achieves just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment